VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE
We are ready for Showtime 😜💃🏻🕺🏻 in …. Countdown…. 10…9…Taco filling triple-flavored in 10 minutes and tahini dresssing in 5….4….3…2…..1….. 👏 👏👏
My association with raw Jackfruit goes to my childhood when one of my grand aunts made a spicy curry dish with large pieces of raw jackfruit. The gravy was made with plenty of fresh coconut and green chillies. I can still remember how she served it with hot rotis… me a little girl, digging-in and devouring mouthfuls. My mouth is watering with just those pleasant memories. At that time I did not have a clue what the vegetable was, it just tasted divine!!
Fast forward to when I got married, my mother-in-law who is from Kerala state in India made a simple stir-fry with smashed raw jackfruit and it was consumed as a side-dish with simple rice and gravy.
Now thanks 🙏 to many of the vegan aficionados I got re-introduced to raw jackfruit… this time I am totally floored with the texture and ways in which it can be incorporated into a variety of dishes and cuisines. Here’s to my very first raw jackfruit recipe and looking forward to plenty more to come 😄
Today I present a sweet, sour and spicy vegan ‘chicken’ taco filling made with shredded raw jackfruit.
👉 Taco filling brings out 3 tastes – sweet from jaggery, sour from tamarind paste and spicy from harissa paste. I also added a habanero to UUUPPPP the heat and boy was it spicy 🤯
👉 A simple creamy taco sauce made of 4 ingredients – sour cream, parsley, green chillies and tahini paste. Note- Any vegan cream also works well
👉 a new taco shell – Mikey’s turmeric tacos – was simply divine
All it takes is to stir-fry the jackfruit until it is cooked and crisp about 10 minutes. Meanwhile mix up the sauce and heat up the taco shells.
Present all of them separately at the dinner table and watch the kids lap up the jackfruit filling. Serve it with a heaping spoonful of freshly smashed guacamole to finish up Mexico on a plate!!
Sweet-sour-spicy vegan ‘chicken’ taco with a creamy tahini sauce
- 8 Corn Tortilla soft Taco size
Taco Filling –
- 2 cans Raw Jackfruit hand shredded
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Habanero sliced optional
- 1 tbsp Harissa paste
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Jaggery or Maple syrup
Tahini Sauce –
- 1/2 cup Sour cream Any vegan cream will work well
- 1 tbsp Tahini paste sesame paste
- 1 tbsp Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilly finely chopped
- Tahini Sauce – Mix all the Tahini ingredients and set aside
Taco Filling –
- Heat a skillet, add some oil and saute the onions
- Add the habanero, shredded jackfruit and all 3 seasonings
- Fry at hight heat until jackfruit is cooked and has a crisp texture
- Reserve to a serving dish
To prepare Taco –
- Toast the taco shells on an open flame
- Add 1 tablespoons of the taco filling, top with tahini sauce
- Serve with a side of guacamole
3 thoughts on “Sweet-sour-spicy vegan ‘chicken’ taco with a creamy tahini sauce”
Hello – the batter is little loose to make pancakes.
You can make the batter little thicker and try to bake, I have never tried it myself. Will give it a shot and let you know.