VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
Kale is one of the hardiest leafy greens. Some varieties like dinosaur kale are really tough. This is one of the reasons why kale can be cooked well and does not wilt quickly like most greens. This is also the same reason why I am not a fan of kale salad. Its too tough 🤷🏻♀️
Today’s offering cooks kale and hardy portobello mushrooms together in the instant pot to get a nice aromatic blend. Make a wrap or a hearty sandwich or stuff it into a tortilla and call it a quesadilla 😬
By using the InstantPot we greatly reduce the time taken to cook the kale and also infuse good flavor. Basic aromatic blends such as red onions and garlic is used. The stuffing is seasoned with plenty of mexican spices such as oregano and flavorful taco seasoning.
Tip- always invest in high quality spices, it adds volumes to every dish. I love Penzeys!
Tip – Use a medium sized tortilla – neither taco size nor burrito size.
Use a simple cheese such as cheddar to act as a binder to the quesadilla. Focus on the main ‘actors’ a.k.a kale and mushrooms. This quesadilla is overflowing with taste and goodness. This was a great lunch box choice as well the next day. So make the stuffing ahead and make a lot 😉 Oh by the way, this stuffing also freezes very well….. oh my goodness …. What else can I say!! Adios Amigo 🤪
Here are some other Mexican fare to try –
Kale Mushroom quesadilla
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 4 pods Garlic chopped
- 1 cup Portobello Mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped
- 1 bunch Red Kale chopped
- 1 bunch Green Kale chopped
- 4 Tortilla wraps medium sized
- 2 tbsps Cheddar cheese
- Turn on the InstantPot on Saute mode
- Start with oil, then add the seasoning powders and fry
- Add onions and garlic, and stir
- Add mushrooms and put the lid on and cook for 5 minutes
- Open the lid and add the kale, press it down and put the lid; cook again for 5 minutes
- Season with Salt and mix well to combine; the stuffing must be dry with no liquid at the bottom
- Start a cast iron skillet, take a tortilla wrap and warm it lightly
- Spread some cheese, spread a liberal layer of the stuffing
- Top with more cheese and fold the tortilla into half and press for the cheese to melt and stick
- Cut the wrap into 2 triangles and serve with a simple salsa dip.