In south India there is a breakfast item called ‘upma’. It is a savory well-seasoned well-cooked dish made with variety of cereals and grains. We make ‘upma’ with practically anything … even bread. No kidding – we have a dish called ‘bread upma’! This is nothing but a ‘hash’ of bread pieces tossed with onions, green chillies etc.
Today’s bread pudding is a baked version of the humble bread upma.
I always collect the ends of breads that are left behind, in a large bag and keep it in the freezer. They come handy to make a variety of things such as breadcrumbs, croutons, French toast, bread pudding …. Just to name a few uses.
Why not make a savory bread pudding that is a fusion between regular bread pudding and bread upma. This dish has veggies and is salted (not sweet) and also unlike bread pudding does not cook to a well-set consistency rather remains like a stir-fry.
I have used leeks and plenty of mushrooms, in fact 2 varieties – baby portobella and shiitake. I brought in a good bit of fresh jalapeños which added the heat to balance out the mundane bread taste.
First coat the bread pieces with olive oil and salt and crisp up in the oven. Next add the veggies and toss everything together. Finally add a cup of oat milk and bake. The milk quantity is just enough to coat the bread pieces to give it some moisture. Top it off with green onions and serve hot! We served it with roasted Cauliflowers… yummm!!
Try out our other one dish baked recipes –
Baked Pasta with Caramelized Mushrooms
Savoury bread pudding
- 4 cups Bread pieces
- 1 large Leek sliced
- 2 cups mixed Mushrooms sliced
- 3 stalks Green Onions sliced
- 1 Jalapeno chopped
- 4 sprigs Basil leaves cut into strips
- 2 cups Oat Milk
- Take a large pyrex baking dish, add the bread pieces, drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper and coat well
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until crisp
- Carefully take it out, now start adding the veggies
- Add leeks, mushrooms, jalapeño and basil
- Add the oat milk and mix everything together
- Bake at 400 degrees hot oven for 20-30 minutes until nice and bubbly
- Carefully remove from oven and sprinkle more basil leaves and green onions on top
- Cut into slices and serve!