VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
Everyone needs a “reboot” night. It can also be called a “comfort food” night. We need to eat but not in the mood for any heavy cooking. This also means not in the mood for excessive sensitive stimulations 😆 Looking for simple homely meal which will wrap us like a warm blanket inside and out.
This Masala bhath is exactly that. It is made with whole grains, vegetables and earthy spices which are good for digestion. I use pure Sesame oil which gives it a nice flavor. To top it all, this is made in the InstantPot. So start to finish in under 30 minutes. Really could not ask for more on a week night, can you! 😇
I used a mixture of brown rice, moong dal and quinoa. The dal is purely optional to increase the protein content. Replace the brown rice with red rice or even basmati rice as you prefer.
This meal will comfort you any day. Serve it with a simple side salad.
Try other one-pot meals as well –
Whole Grain Masala bhath
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables potatoes, peas, carrots, green beans etc.
- 2 tbsps Onion chopped
- 4 tbsps Sesame oil
Spice Powders –
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala optional
- 1 tsp Red Chilly powder as per spice preference
Dry Spices –
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 3-4 pieces Bay leaves
- 2 pieces Cinnamon
- 2 pieces Cloves
- 2 pieces Cardamom
Other Aromatics –
- 1 Jalapeno chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Turmeric root grated (optionally use Turmeric powder)
- 2 pods Garlic chopped
- Start the instantPot on Saute mode
- Add the sesame oil and all the dry spices, fry for a nice aroma
- Add the other aromatics and fry
- Next add the 3 grains and fry for a few mins
- Add the veggies, the powders and mix wellAdd 4 cups of water and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes
- When timer is done, let it sit for 10 mins and let the pressure release
- Fluff up the rice and serve with a side salad! Enjoy!!