These oats pancakes are gorgeous to the eye and even better on our taste buds 😇 the addition of purple cabbage enhances the visual appeal.
The batter can be mixed in 5 minutes and let to soak for just 20 minutes before you begin frying these beauties.
Rolled oats are mixed with spelt flour and runny buttermilk. Let sit for 20-30 minutes and dilute with water to a dripping consistency. Add minced purple cabbage and seasoning of choice – I added ginger, jalapeños, cilantro, curry leaves etc. Shallow fry them in a small wok. The exterior is crisp and inside soft and yet with a mild crunch from the cabbage. This is all it takes.
Note – use a mixture of non-dairy milk and lemon juice for a vegan version of buttermilk
It makes for a great lunch box meal.
Spin this up for your next weekend breakfast, serve it with some ketchup for the kids and a robust hot sauce for the adults. Spectacular !!!
Oats pancakes with purple cabbage
- Small wok or fry pan
- 2 cups Rolled Oats
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 cup Spelt flour
- 1 cups Purple Cabbage finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 tbsp Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 sprig Curry leaves torn roughly
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Mix the oats with spelt flour, salt and buttermilk; let it sit for 20 minutes
- Add water to dilute it to a dropping consistency
- Add the purple cabbage and all the seasonings and mix well
- Sprinkle baking soda on top and mix lightly, you will see it lightly bubbling on top
- Heat a small wok and pour 2-3 scoops of the mixture, drizzle oil around the pancake; put a lid on and cook until bottom is lightly brown and crisp
- Turn the pancake over and cook without a lid until both sides are well done
- Remove; serve hot with hot sauce or ketchup