VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, NUT-FREE
This dish incorporates fresh swiss chards and mint – both harvested from my own backyard – 😇😜and adds tofu to make it a well-rounded dish with plenty of turmeric to take the stage as the main flavor.
Today, the market is flooded with turmeric tablets and articles on the goodness of turmeric for everyday health.
It is very easy to infuse turmeric to daily foods, since it really is a very mild flavor and does not impact a dish overall (except of course the bright yellow color which I personally find very appetizing).
Turmeric has been used in daily Indian cooking for ages and here are some links to several recipes which include turmeric –
Today’s stir-fry is practically Sunshine on a plate 🌝. It has 3 main components: tofu, corn and swiss chards. Use any greens of your choice; they provide a nice variation and color to the dish. This dish uses air-fried Tofu; you can also pan-fry the tofu. This dish takes only 5 to 10 minutes to stir-fry and is a pop of freshness in every bite. The secret ingredient is fresh Mint leaves.
Turmeric can be used in 2 forms: in powder form which is easiest to use and fresh turmeric root; shredded like ginger. The second imparts a lighter flavor than the power-packed powder. The color obtained by using fresh turmeric root is also milder and very pleasing to the eyes.
In today’s preparation, I used turmeric in powder form. I coated the tofu with salt and turmeric, and air-fried it. This step can be made in advance before tossing everything together.
Stir-fry the ingredients at high heat when you are ready to eat; it takes only 10 minutes! Season and roast the corn and add in the greens and the tofu. Finish of the dish with ribbons of fresh chopped mint leaves.
This dish is so versatile that you can eat it plain, toss it over a bed of greens for a warm topping to a salad, or roll it into wrap and take it to-go for lunch. Oh the possibilities 🙂
Turmeric tofu with roasted corn – easy stir-fry
- 2 cups Tofu – extra firm diced into cubes
- 2 cups Corn – shucked
- 2 cups Swiss chards packed
- 2 pods Garlic sliced
- 1 stalk Mint leaves cut into ribbons
- 2 tsps Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Hot chilly paste
- 2 tsps Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Coat the tofu with 1 tsp oil, 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder and salt – Air-fry or pan-fry to crisp texture, set aside
- Heat a big wok with 1 tsp oil, add cumin seeds and garlic, fry lightly
- Add the corn, 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder and stir fry at high heat until roasted – about 5 minutes
- Add the swiss chards and stir to wilt – about 2-3 minutes; salt to taste
- Finally add the fried tofu, mint leaves, hot chilly paste and stir-fry to coat everything completely – about 2-3 minutes
- Serve hot over mixed greens or inside a wrap, Enjoy!