VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, NUT-FREE
Seitan is essentially wheat gluten. It is a vegan protein made by rinsing the starch from the wheat dough. It has a nice chewy texture and works very well as a meat substitute. It is a heavily processed ingredient, so use it in small quantities.
Today’s recipe tries to mimic ‘crab’ cakes with the use of seitan thereby making it vegan and vegetarian.
We only need 5 ingredients – seitan, spicy pepper, miso paste, celery and breadcrumbs.
Its a super easy recipe and tastes amazing. The only boring part is to hand-roll the cakes 🤷🏻♀️
Mix seitan crumbs with pepper, celery and miso paste – to give a nice umami flavor. Sprinkle just enough water and make it into tight patties. Roll them in breadcrumbs and bake. I also roll them in oil before baking. You can also spray some oil.
We enjoyed it with our light and wholesome Sumptuous mushroom soup!
Spicy dipping sauce – Mix equal portions of sriracha sauce, mustard paste and tzatziki
Seitan ‘crab’ cakes with Spicy dipping sauce
- 2 cups Seitan crumbled into pieces
- 3 stalks Celery finely chopped
- 1 Hot Pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp Miso Paste
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs coarse grind
- 3 tbsps Olive oil
- Mix seitan, celery, pepper and miso pasteSprinkle just enough water to bring it together and hand-roll them into patties
- Coat with breadcrumbs
- Spray oil and lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake at 425 degrees hot oven for 10 mins on each side until lightly browned and crunchy
- Enjoy with spicy dipping sauce