3 Layer Taco with 3 ingredients in each layer
VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, NUT-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE
Dinner time can be easy and fun even on a week night. Today’s quick post is highlighting exactly that.
These tacos were a weeknight dinner that was put together within 30 minutes. It turned out so festive and delicious that I felt the need for a post rather than a simple 1-min Instagram video 🤷🏻♀️
This taco was built with 3 layers – ingredient layer 1 (tempeh, black beans & red onions); ingredient layer 2 (purple cabbage, spring onions & sesame paste); and a simple salsa to top it off…. Hence the name 3 3 3 😜
Let’s dissect each of the layers individually –
Layer 1 – Started off with a base of Tempeh. Tempeh is a vegan protein made from soy beans. It is naturally gluten-free and packed with goodness. The tempeh is pan-fried to a nice crisp texture. Bring in red onions and black beans. Fry the red onions to give a good flavor, add the tempeh and beans, and toss it together. Layer 1 is done.
This is the only ‘cooking’ part, not counting toasting the tortillas.
Layer 2 – Take crisp purple cabbage and slice it very thin. Add sliced spring onions or green onions. Toss it with a heaping teaspoon of sesame paste. Layer 2 is done.
Note – Sesame paste is readily available in jars. If you want to make it at home, soak toasted sesame seeds in a few teaspoons of warm water and blend it to a thick paste.
The whole point here is, let 1-2 ingredients shine for a delicious and flavorful meal. Layer 1 is all about the crisp tempeh.
Layer 2 is all about Sesame paste, which is subtle yet powerful. I know how contradicting that may sound, but you get it, right?
Toast up some taco wraps on a flame to give it a nice char-grill. Layer it up – 1, 2, 3. Enjoy with a big spoon of smashed guacamole.
Try out these fabulous and easy Tacos – with all alternate Vegan ‘meats’ – Tofu, Seitan, Tempeh, and raw Jackfruit.
Tofu tacos with cabbage slaw and tartar sauce
Seitan n Spinach Rainbow Tacos
3 3 3 Taco
- 4 Taco shells soft
- 2 tbsp Salsa garnish
Layer 1 –
- 1 package Tempeh
- 1 cup Black beans cooked
- 1 large Red Onion sliced
Layer 2 –
- 1 cup Purple Cabbage shredded
- 4 stalks Green onions stalks and stems, sliced
- 1 tsp Sesame paste
- Take a skillet and pan fry the tempeh (cut into strips) to a crisp texture, set aside
- Next add red onions to the skillet and fry it to golden brown color, add drained black beans and tempeh and toss together Season as preferred
- Next take a mixing bowl and mix together purple cabbage, green onions and sesame paste
- Lets assemble the tacos – toast the taco shell directly on a flame to get char marks
- On a plate, put a teaspoon of layer mixture in the center of one half
- Next put layer 2 mixture next to the layer 1
- Finally top with salsa as layer 3
- Wrap the taco and serve
1 thought on “3 3 3 Taco”